My Job Search
Christian Women’s Job Corps-Golden Triangle, MS (CWJC-GT)
Planting Seeds of Hope
- Job Fairs around Mississippi
- Federal, State, and City Jobs
- Local Job Search information
- Miscellaneous Job Search Websites
- Creating Your Resumes and Cover Letter
- Job Search Strategies & Networking
- Type Focus Personality Assessment and Career Exploration Tools
- Keyboarding Techniques
POTENTIAL JOB OPENINGS
To increase the pool of applicants for a job, many companies often offer a link or webpage (with link or webpage names such as Careers With Us, Human Resources, Job Opportunities, etc.) on their website which identify current job openings available. A job opportunity does not guarantee employment. Some examples using common external links to find such job opportunities include but are not limited to the information following.
“For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the LORD, “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.” Jeremiah 29:11
Job Search Websites
JOB FAIRS AROUND MISSISSIPPI
- East Mississippi Community College (EMCC): EMCC Job Fair events (if scheduled, see EMCC’s Community Calendar)
- Governor’s Job Fair Network (See the Upcoming Job Fair Events section on the webpage)
- Department of Employment Security (MDES): Governor’s Job Fair Network
- Scroll down to click on Governor’s Job Fair Network.
- State of Mississippi: Working (provides links to the Governor’s Job Fair Network, etc.)
FEDERAL, STATE AND CITY JOBS
- USA Jobs: Federal Jobs
- Mississippi State Personnel Board: State of Mississippi Jobs
- City of Columbus: City of Columbus Jobs
- City of Starkville: City of Starkville Jobs
- Clay County: Clay County & City of West Point Jobs
- Lowndes County: Lowndes County Jobs
- Scroll down page to see if any jobs are listed; click on a job listed to see requirements.
LOCAL JOB SEARCH INFORMATION
FOOD SERVICE JOBS
- Aramark Food Service: Aramark Jobs
- East Mississippi Community College (EMCC): EMCC Dining Jobs (Sodexo)
- The W Dining Services: MUW Jobs (Sodexo)
- International Paper: International Paper Jobs
- Steel Dynamics Inc: SDI Jobs (formerly known as Severstal)
- Weyerhaeuser: Weyerhaeuser Jobs
MEDICAL / HEALTHCARE JOBS
- Baptist Memorial Health Care Online: Baptist Hospital Jobs
- Review the screen displayed for new job opportunities
- Or, click on Job Openings on the left side of the screen.
- Or, click on External Applicants on the right side of the screen to apply.
- Methodist Senior Services (MSS): MSS Jobs (nurses, nurses’ aides, cook, dietary assistant, etc.)
- Click on Location to scroll and find a location near you, or type the city name (such as Columbus or West Point) in the Keywords field.
- North Mississippi Medical Center: NM Med Center Jobs
- Scroll down and click Browse jobs.
- OCH Regional Hospital: OCH Hospital Jobs
- Winston Medical Center: WMC Hospital Jobs
PUBLIC SCHOOLS AND HIGHER EDUCATION JOBS
- Columbus City Schools: Columbus City School Jobs
- East Mississippi Community College: EMCC Jobs
- Louisville Municipal School District: Louisville School Jobs
- Click All Jobs.
- Mississippi State University: MSU Jobs
- Or, click Explore Careers.
- Mississippi University for Women: MUW Jobs
- Also go to the following link Careers and scroll down and click on one of the Position links available.
- Starkville Oktibbeha School District: Starkville School Jobs
- West Point Consolidated School District: West Point School Jobs
- Also see the link for Kelly Educational Staffing below for other positions, such as substitute teachers, teacher’s aides, etc.
- Frontline Education
- Several schools in Mississippi (but not all) may utilize Frontline Education’s Online Apps process to accept job applications. Type the following type of web address, inserting the appropriate city or county name, and click Enter to see if schools in that geographical area may have listed job positions.
- Aberdeen: https://www.applitrack.com/aberdeen/onlineapp/
- Louisville: https://www.applitrack.com/louisville/onlineapp/
- Under the section External Applicants (if you are not yet an employee of the school district identified), click Start an application for employment.
MISCELLANEOUS JOB SEARCH WEBSITES
- Columbus Lowndes Chamber of Commerce: Job Postings by the chamber members
- Express Employment Professionals: Jobs listed online at Express Pros
- Kelly Educational Staffing: Jobs for substitute teachers, teacher’s aides, etc.
- Click Job Seekers Explore Your Options. .
- Starkville Daily News: Jobs listed online at Starkville Daily News
- CAREERBUILDER: careerbuilder.com
- indeed: https://www.indeed.com
- Monster: http://www.monster.com
- SimplyHired: www.simplyhired.com
JOB PREPARATION TIPS & TOOLS
CREATING YOUR RESUME AND COVER LETTER
Click on the links below to view job research tips, examples of resumes, cover letters, etc.
- GCFLearnfree: Choosing the Right Resume Format
- GCFLearnfree: Writing a Cover Letter
- Monster: Examples of Cover Letter Explanations (Dealing with Resume Gaps and Job-Hopping Issues)
- Career Rush: Cover Letter example response to a Classified Ad
- Career Rush’s Home page also provides links to a number of job search tips and tools types of websites.
- The University of Iowa: Email Etiquette Tips When Applying for a Job by Email
JOB SEARCH STRATEGIES & NETWORKING
- MSU Career Center: Job Strategies
- MSU Career Center: Handbook (Resume & Interviewing examples and tips)
- MSU Career Center: Networking Strategies (spreading the word, social networking, etc.)
- MSU Career Center: Dress for Success (tips for Business Casual and Interviewing dress, etc.)
- MSU Career Center: Interviewing
- The Balance: How to Dress for an Interview
- The Balance: Job Interview Questions and Answers
- The Balance: Networking and Thank You Letter Examples
- The Balance: Letter Tips to Ask Friends and Family for Job Search Help (networking tips and examples of letters requesting assistance to find a job)
LET YOUR FRIENDS AND FAMILY KNOW WHEN YOU ARE LOOKING FOR A JOB
Here’s an idea! Send an email to your friends and family stating that you are currently looking for a new job. Here is an example of what your message might say:
Hello Friends and Family,
Now that I have completed a training session at Christian Women’s Job Corps, I wanted to share with you that I am now looking for a new job. If you or anyone you know has a lead on a job opportunity, I would appreciate your input and your prayers. Please continue to keep me informed of any new opportunities that you might be aware of or can recommend. I appreciate your help!
TYPE FOCUS PERSONALITY ASSESSMENT AND CAREER EXPLORATION TOOLS
This is a FREE assessment that will provide you instantly with a 4-Letter Personality Type.
- Go to the Free TypeFocus site address: https://whoami.typefocus.com/
- Go to Register Now for new users.
- Make up a username and password; complete the rest of the required info.
- Once the webpage is complete, click Sign Up.
- Once you are registered, you can then continue to complete a personality assessment quiz which could help you to determine job types best for your personal career.
Do you need to improve your keyboarding (typing) skills? Websites to help improve speed and accuracy include but are not limited to the following:
- Official-Typing-Test.com [provides timed writing tests (Typing Tests), as well as data entry tests (10 Key Tests)]
- GCFLearnfree: Typing Tutorial [Microsoft Office typing tutorial (a program of the Goodwill Community Foundation® and Goodwill Industries of Eastern NC, Inc.®)]
- Peter’s Online Typing Course: Typing Lessons (Peter Hudson’s typing tutorial)
- Look to the left of the Home page and click on one of the Typing Lessons
Registered Child Care Facilities in Mississippi
REGISTERED FACILITIES. The Mississippi Department of Health has launched a searchable database of licensed child care facilities in the state. This website provides information to parents not only related to opportunities for the child involved such as ages served, after-school care, special needs as well as information related to licensing status, inspections, investigations, and monetary penalities of the facility.
- Mississippi Department of Health: Child Care Provider Search
- Scroll down the page and click Search to begin the search.
DEGREE COMPLETION: Have you already taken some college classes? Do you have enough college credits to earn a degree? The State of Mississippi and Mississippi Institutions of Higher Learning (IHL) have launched a FREE website to assist a person with some college credits in determining a path to a completed degree by identifying which schools offer the classes needed for degree completion.
- State of Mississippi: Mississippi Institutions of Higher Learning (IHL)
- Click Complete2Compete and scroll down the page to begin the process.
COLLEGE READINESS: Thinking about going to college? The American Council on Education, Lumina Foundation and the Ad Council created the following website to help a person identify ways to be ready to be successful when the person arrives at college. Many helpful links are also associated with its website.
Reading Lists Suitable for Personal Development
Reading lists referenced provide suggestions of books to read as identified to assist in developing leadership and other skills for potential advancement in a person’s own personal career track. Try checking with the local library to see if a desired book is available for check out; CWJC-Golden Triangle does not guarantee availability of any book as suggested.
BOOK TITLES OF LEADERSHIP AND MANAGEMENT BOOKS
- Community Bible Study: Leadership Reading List ·
- Dale Carnegie Training: Some Free Leadership, Business, and Management E-Books
Starting a New Business?
Online tools can include but are not limited to the following website links to assist those wanting to start a new business. Note: Always consult with your financial and legal representatives when considering the starting of a business. ·
- Mississippi Secretary of State: Y’All Business (Provides information related to demographics, contact information, etc.)
- Mississippi Secretary of State: Mississippi Boss (Q & A starting a business)
- Mississippi Small Business Development Center: Events/Workshops (many FREE workshops)
- MSU College of Business: Small Business Development Center
- Mississippi Development Authority: The Entrepreneur Center @ MDA (part of the agency’s Minority & Small Business Division)
Are you new to managing or supervising people or projects? Here’s some tips:
- The Balance: Management Tips (particularly for new management staff) ·
The Balance: Management Topics
LOCAL CHAMBERS OF COMMERCE
- Columbus Lowndes Chamber of Commerce: Benefits and Services
- Also click on the Resources tab to link to additional business resource tools. ·
- Greater Starkville Development Partnership: Local Business & Economic Development: Business Resources ·
- West Point Community Growth Alliance: Business Development Resources (provides many links to companies and agencies often needed to start a business)
- Winston County Economic Development District Partnership: Resources (provides many links to companies and agencies often needed to start a business)